Thursday, October 26, 2006

Keep Fit; Keep Writing

So you're a writer. You sit hunched over your keyboard in front of your computer for hours on end working on that one screenplay which will bring you the fame, fortune and recognition you deserve. Food fuels the brain cells and you have to eat after all. No time to make a proper meal, got to get words on the page, so snacks are going to have to do (I'm munching on a can of Pringles as I write this). Only, when you've finished your masterpiece and you're ready to post it out you find your legs don't work and you're too fat to move anyway. You've been so busy stuffing your face and working on your script that you've forgotten that exercise is important, not only for the body, but for the mind and soul as well.

The other week I noticed I was putting on a little weight and that I was getting out of breath just walking up the stairs. I decided to do something about it. I joined a Kung Fu class.

I know I'll never be a Bruce Lee, but I felt it was an interesting way to get fit, something I would look forward to going to every week. I've only been doing it for two weeks but I'm already reaping the benefits. When I'm writing I get up from my computer every half an hour and practice a few moves or do a few push ups. Not only am I more flexible, but I'm also more alert and I feel fitter for it.

So this is a little reminder to all my fellow writers to remember that exercise is important. You don't have to join a class, go to the gym, or even run around your neighbourhood, sweat pouring off you, your face beetroot read and gasping for your next breath. As long as you get up every half hour and have a little walk around, get the blood pumping, you'll start to feel the benefit. And also remember a healthy body leads to a healthy mind.

3 comments:

Andy Phillips said...

Everybody was Kung Fu writing
Huh!
Those drafts were fast as lightning
Ha!
And it was a little bit frightning
Huh
Cause they did it without outlining
Hah!

James Moran said...

When you can take the keyboard from my hand, Grasshopper, then the student will have surpassed the master...

Anonymous said...

great idea... I joined interpretive dance class and write now I am trying to choreograph the West Side Story to my denouement