Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Original Ideas

I've noticed that lack of original movies this summer, with studios preferring to go with old favourites to guarantee box office return. Let's see, there are the sequels; Die Hard 4.0, Pirates Of The Caribbean 3, Shrek The Third, Hostel Part 2, Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer, Evan Almighty, Ocean's Thirteen, Spider-man 3, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix and 28 Weeks Later.

The remakes; Hairspray (a movie, then a successful stage play, and then a movie again) and Disturbia (a remake of Rear Window).

And the big screen movie adaptations; Transformers.

My movie hungry mind is crying out for some originality, something challenging, something thought provoking. Does anyone have any ideas?

4 comments:

Oli said...

Zodiac was fantastic. Based on a novel, admittedly, but still the best thing I've seen in the cinema for quite some time.

Avoid Death Proof at all costs.

Oli said...

Oh, and so to bring it back to your orginal point, no. I've not seen any good original ideas at the movies lately. But I'm still bigging up Zodiac.

Dominic Carver said...

Yes, Zodiac does look good. I'll give it a go I think

Tim Clague said...

My advice - forget the cinema. All the greatest ideas are on-line, at festivals and on DVD. Sad, but true.