Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mead You There

I'm off on my travels this weekend, down to London Town for Adrian Mead's The Insider's Guide For Writing TV.

This is the first course I've been on since I completed my BA (Hons) degree in Scriptwriting and I have to say I'm really looking forward to it. If the one day course is as good as the handouts Adrian has supplied me then it's going to be fantastic. I will of course provide you all with a full and frank review when I return.

Faith: I've actually started writing and it's really coming together. Usually when I write something I spend months working through the plot and characters before I even type one word of the script. It's a slow process so I've decided to use this opportunity to experiment a little.

Normally my time on a script would be split like this: 80% prep, 5% writing and 15% on rewrites. When I was at university there were people who would start writing in a matter of days with the flimsiest of plots, and let the script develop itself. I could never do that.

With all the other work I've had to do I reckon I've spent at most three weeks working on the plot of Faith. So I decided it was time to start writing. Now I have, new ideas, characters and plot lines are suggesting themselves as I write. I still find this a very strange way of writing, but as I need to speed up my work I am giving it a shot. It appears to be working so far. If by the end of the first draft I find the plot is full of holes then I may never try this again.

2 comments:

Andy Phillips said...

Good luck, and see you on Saturday.

-Andy

Lianne said...

Hope you enjoyed the seminar as much as I did Dom!