Monday, November 22, 2010

Short Film Success

I have to admit I am a little surprised. I thought when I declared to the writing world I was going to stop working for free and start charging for my short film scripts that it would be the last I ever heard from anyone. I honestly though the electronic world would abandon me. But thankfully this has not been the case. I've been offered some work, not a great deal, but enough to justify the decision and also enough to make Christmas that much more comfortable. The boy can actually have wheels on his bike now, and if he's lucky some handle bars for his next birthday.

The advantage of being paid is that I can now focus on the stuff that does bring the money in, working on it hard and getting it out of the way so I can move on to the next paying project. And if I want, on the odd occasion, I can still work for free if I feel strongly enough about the project in question. This means I have freed up quite a lot of my time and I'm no longer wasting any pursuing projects that are going nowhere.

It also helps to focus the mind and provide motivation. No longer can I say, 'I can't be arsed, I'll do that tomorrow instead.' Now I have deadlines and I have to deliver. If I don't then it's my reputation that goes down the loo.

It's also fascinating to work with others and learn how they operate, adjusting what I do to suit what they want. It's a lot of fun, something of which I want more of.

No comments: