Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Holidays Are Coming

The holidays are coming and it's a quiet time around production companies this time of year. They're too busy getting ready for the round of Christmas parties to read what you have sent them in December. So as a writer you can just switch off now and enjoy the holiday season... right? You can if you want, that's up to you, I'm not going to tell you otherwise.

However, I for one will not be wasting this quiet time. I'll be working on my existing scripts polishing them to the best they can be, so they are ready for dispatch in the New Year. I could sit around on my butt until February, but others will probably be writing and have stuff ready for first thing in the New Year. I don't want to slip behind them in the queue; I want to be up there near the front. For me it's no good having my scripts ready for February if other writers have sent theirs out in January. I'm already a month behind then.

Equally I don't want to start writing again the first week of January and rush through something rubbish to get it out in the second week. It won't do me any favours to have a sloppy script out there. I need to spend that quiet Christmas time working hard so I'm really ready in January.

I can't afford not to.

No comments: