Wednesday, March 21, 2018

PLOTTING SOFTWARE

In screenwriting forums and Facebook pages there are usually three big debates with regards to screenwriting. 1 - Should I protect my work with Copyright or an NDA? 2 - Which writing software should I use? 3 - Should you use plotting software? It's on the latter I wish to concentrate today.

There are several plotting software packages out there to choose from. The two I've used in the past and the ones that seem to be the most popular amongst writers are DRAMATICA PRO and SAVE THE CAT. I know there are probably plenty more to choose from but I've only used these two and don't feel qualified enough to comment on any of the others. If you use a different bit of software then please feel free to tell us all about it in the comments below.

Dramatica Pro is more involved than other methods I've used and to get the most out of it you not only have to read the entire manual, but you also have to understand it. Their system is somewhat complicated. Once mastered, however, it can be very helpful in forcing you to think about your plot and characters in new and unexpected ways. Used well, it is something I believe can be a great benefit to your writing. I did find it restrictive at times but I learned to work around the systems' confines and create some cracking screenplays with it.

These days I use Save The Cat and find it a great deal easier. It's very instinctive and matches more closely the way I like to write. It's only as rigid as you allow it to be and can be used as a beat by beat guide or simply as a rough template. It's basically a more expensive, electronic version of index cards, that allows you to make as many notes as you wish, add setups and payoffs, work on your characters and keep track of their story arc. I use Save The Cat to work out my basic plotline and then go from there. The majority of the time things will change as I write and beats I've written will be lost, grow, or end up being moved.

The way I look at plotting software is that it is as flexible as you make it. If you're a newer writer you might like to stick as closely as you can to the beats, whereas the more experienced writer you are the more likely you are to only use it as a rough template, diving into your writing and changing things as and when you need it.

Isn't plotting software too rigid, only creating flat, formulaic, dull screenplays? It's up to you how much you use this kind of software, if at all. As long as you know you don't have to stick exactly to the outlines you create using this method and that you can change and adapt anything you want, then you will be fine. It is just an aid.

Think of it as a learning to ride a bicycle. You wouldn't jump on one and expect to be able to ride the first time. That's why stabilisers are there, to aid you until you are confident enough to take them off and ride without them. With plotting, you need to know the rules. When they become second nature to you, you can then learn to break them. If you feel you need the help, use whatever helps you get to where you want to be. If you don't, brilliant. Do whatever you need to make things easier for yourself. Don't be worried about what other writers think. Every writer has their own way of doing things. Find yours.

Having said that index cards and a pencil are just as effective... and cheaper.

Happy writing!

No comments: