Wednesday, November 07, 2012

AGENT

I like my agent. I really like my agent.

What I like most about her is that she's brutally honest. Last week I had a request for a script. It's a detective drama pilot I wrote back in 2007 and she told me straight it needed rewriting before it went out. Her exact words were, "I know you can do better."

I know I've improved as a writer since I wrote the last draft and I totally agree with her, it does need a rewrite, if only because the protagonist is very passive at the beginning of the screenplay. That's something I've been planning to correct for a few years now but have never got around to. The protagonist needs to propel the story forward with his actions and I have now corrected this.

What's really great is that my agent really believes in my work and me as a writer. It's fantastic to have someone who is as passionate about your work as you are. It's awesome to have that support, someone fighting in your corner, someone to give you a boot up the arse when you need it and steeer you in the right direction.

A lot of new writers think it's just a matter of getting an agent and miraculously they'll then land a ton of work. But it's more important you're ready for an agent and they're someone you can work with. Having an agent who isn't passionate about you or your work is about as helpful as not having an agent in the first place. So if you think you're ready for one then take your time, do your research and choose wisely.

Remember, an agent is for life, not just for Christmas.

2 comments:

Mac McSharry said...

Congrats on the agent, Dom. So sorry I didn't catch you at LSF! Next time you are in London, maybe grab a coffee?

Dominic Carver said...

Yeah, that'll be cool.