Wednesday, October 03, 2012

OPTION REWRITE

I've read Johnny's notes, discussed the changes with him and agreed the direction the rewrite of Faith will take. Now all I have to do is sit down and make those changes.

I've lived with this story for many years during which it has changed, grown and morphed into something entirely different from my initial idea. The new draft will make further significant changes, changes which will both enhance the story and complete it. I'm very excited about it.

I'm never precious about my work. I know a film is a collaborative work and I always listen to ideas of how my work can be taken forward. I then weigh up each idea, assessing its impact on the story and characters. If I'm happy they will improve the screenplay I will implement them. If I feel they don't add anything, or detract from what I'm trying to achieve, then I'll let the person know my reasons for not making those changes. Hopefully they'll understand and agree.

It just so happens Johnny and I are on the same page with Faith and I agree with most of the changes he wants me to implement. In fact most of them I have thought of before and have wanted to make for some time. Now I have the opportunity to do so.

The one suggestion I didn't entirely agree with I'm still going to implement because it will improve the chances of the screenplay getting the funding needed to take it forward into production. The reason I'm happy to do so, despite my objections, is because Johnny explained the reasoning behind his suggestion and I agreed his argument made a lot of sense.

Better get to it.

No comments: