Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Festival / Snorefest?

Today I attended the New Writers Day at the Cheltenham Scriptwriters' Festival 2006. When it was originally advertised I didn't fall into the category of Professional Delegate according to the wesite's guidelines - "This part of the Festival is generally for writers who have been optioned, produced or who have a projects that has been accepted in competition by recognised screen development agencies." So I signed up for the New Writers Day at £90.

I received an email a week before asking me to fill in a tick list of the sessions I wanted to attend - "Please find attached a tick sheet containing the session for Tuesday 27th June. Would you be able to tick which ones you are interested in and return to me, we want to make sure that everyone will get to the sessions of their choice." When I got there I was told that people had to sign up to the pitching sessions on their arrival, something as far as I was concerned I had already signed up for on the above tick list. I was told that this was not the case and that all the pitching sessions had now been booked up and I couldn't get on one. This was the main focus of my day and I was quite furious that I wasn't allowed to attend when as far as I was concerned I had already booked my place.

To make matters worse the rest of the events/presentations were basic at best, not really geared to what I would call New Writers trying to break into the industry. The guests simply went over stuff I already knew. It was all basic stuff aimed at people who have just decided to take up writing and not those who have been writing for some while and want a little more insider knowledge to help them along.

Most of the presentations were 45 mins long and so hurried that they were brushing over large chunks of information. The question and answer sessions at the end lasted no longer than 10 minutes allowing for 2-3 questions only. The delegates were then hustled out like sheep to the next presentation by a woman with radio and headset/microphone.

14.00 - 14.45pm Getting in - A Pitching Case Study the fourth presentation was by far the worst. The first 20 minutes were taken up by the presenters telling us their bios, which we already had in our welcome pack. They then talked about how shit the industry was at letting talent in for the next 15 minutes and then during the last five they answered two questions from the audience.

I staid for one last presentation on the legal side of things (contracts, etc) and was treated to a slide show that was brushed over so fast I didn't have time to make any notes. By this time I had had enough and I left for the two and a half hour journey home.

It was a total waste of time as far as I was concerned and I will be writing an email asking for my money back.

UPDATE: I think my lack of enjoyment can be put down to my expectations. Having a degree in scriptwriting I knew pretty much everything that was covered at the New Writers' Day. I was kind of expecting the day to be aimed at those writers who hadn't yet had a sale/commision/option. I wasn't expecting it to be aimed at those people just taking up the craft. 75% of the people who have contacted me seem to agree.

I have been reliably informed by Danny Stack that the Professional Delegates Festival is a winner. I shall be attending that next year.

10 comments:

Sal said...

Dom, I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but thanks for letting us know. I didn't go to Cheltenham because I felt I fell between the days - not a beginner, but not earning a living yet, and also I'm totally skint. I hope you at least managed to meet people while you were there.

Lianne said...

Hi Dom,

Yes, I'm sorry it was such a disappointment. Like Sal, I couldn't go for financial reasons and I was also irritated they didn't publicise a firm schedule before expecting people to sign up, making it impossible for me to judge whether or not I could travel up from London on the day. I had a concern from the outset with this that cordoning off new writer's from professional writer's would be a bad idea. Definitely email them with your complaints - I think the festival was a step in the right direction and the only way it can improve is if those who attended give their feedback. I wonder if the professional bit will be any better? Thanks for posting.

Dominic Carver said...

I did enjoy two bits: the lovely ham, turkey and cheese baggette I had for lunch and the book I bought on pitching.

I shall be emailing them my more restrained comments. I suspect there will be lots of improvements for next year.

Tim Clague said...

What a downer. This should have been the hit of the year. I mean if this thing isn't aimed at you Dom then what is it for?

Dan said...

I can imagine we have much to learn from the Yanks on things like this. Perhaps it's just teething problems? Do let them know your thoughts as it's the only way it will improve.

Good post by the way.

Dominic Carver said...

I'm not the only one. After emailing everyone who attended the New Writers' Day half an hour ago I've recieved 15 replies confirming the same disapointments

Piers said...

I almost shelled out for this - then I found that they were opening the professional days up for new writers with scripts.

So that was that. It immediately become pointless attending the New Writers' Day, and thanks to the late notice I'd already made commitments for the professional days.

I can only assume from the opening up of the professional days and the fact that I got called up twice by a nice lady who said "Hello, you appear to have abandoned your application half-way through, can we help?" that take-up wasn't as high as they were hoping for.

I still think the idea of the festival is good, and I'd like to go along.

But not to a New Writers' Day.

James Moran said...

That's such a shame, particularly as the pro days sound so good. There isn't really anything for new writers here, unless they want to do the college courses available. They should either tailor it to reflect the suggestions of the disappointed delegates, or just let new writers go to the pro days, where they'll probably learn a lot more.

Robin Kelly said...

Dom

What's the pitching book? Do you recommend it?

Paul Campbell said...

Dom

I think they never really got to grips with who the Festival was for. The divide between "newbies" and "pros" was skewed too far towards the Newbies. I blagged my way ino the Pros days and thoroughly enjoyed them. Most of the other writers I met were at the "newbie" end of the "pro" spectrum. You'd have been right at home.

Sometime in the next day or so I'll be posting thoughts on the whole shebang. If you can afford the dosh, I'd make an effort to put the date in your diary for next year.