Thursday, July 06, 2006

Cat In The Hat

I have a hat. It's not any old hat. It's a writing hat. Terry Pratchett has a hat and now so do I.

You might ask yourself why does a hat make so much difference to your writing? It's because the brim of the hat is in my view and blocks anything that might distract me above it. Think of it as the same sort of thing as blinkers for horses. I'm less distracted when I wear it.

Besides it makes me feel more like a writer, it puts me in the mindset so I can sit in front of my computer for several hours and do that little something that eludes even the best of us at times - actual writing. It focuses me.

What do you guys and gals wear/or do to facilitate the flow of words that will one day become screenplays?

9 comments:

Sal said...

Your writing hat vs my writing shorts. What do you say?

Dominic Carver said...

My hat would win.

James Moran said...

I totally want a writing hat! I don't have any special rituals or attire, but I need some, as I get distracted incredibly easily. A big writing hat, and a cigarette holder for that Hunter S. Thompson vibe. Don't have to smoke anything, just the holder would do. I could put cigars in it. Or pens.

Dominic Carver said...

Or washing up liquid, then you could blow bubbles out the end.

James Moran said...

Now you're talking... I actually just bought a replica of the ciggy holder from Fear and Loathing, and a pair of the ridiculous shades. I'm bidding on his hat right now. I'm so excited, I could fall over or something.

Sal said...

A Hunter S Thompson ciggie holder that blows bubbles would be too much like fun - I'd spend half the day out in the garden with it, instead of writing. Still think my shorts rule - if I wore a hat in my loft, I'd cook my head.

Piers said...

I don't want a writing hat.

I might put it on by accident when I was out with friends, and be completely unable to interact with them.

Sal said...

ryc - congrats to you too! Good luck for future rounds

Andy Phillips said...

Temperature is the key. You can't write if you're hot or cold. In winter, I have a wooly writing hat and sometimes a writing blanket. In summer, it's the writing y-fronts.