Wednesday, January 12, 2022

2022 - LOOKING FORWARD

I don't want to make any New Year writing resolutions this year. Not because I've lost my ambition along with my writing mojo but because I don't want to end 2022 with any unfulfilled goals. Unfulfilled goals lead to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to standing in a dark, damp cave with father issues and only a lightsaber as company... ahem... well, you get the drift.

Basically, I don't want to make all these resolutions and/or goals and then end the year disappointed having not achieved some or all of them. Because, at the moment, the danger with failing to acheive the writing goals I set myself at the beginning of the year is that it might leave me feeling disollusioned, depressed, angry and resentful and after already spending a year feeling shit about myself and my writing, that is the last thing I want to happen. I still want to be ambitious. I still want to achieve things. I still want to work on exciting projects and read amazing, intreaguing and entertaining screenplays from many wonderful writers. Just because I refuse to set goals for myself, doesn't mean I refuse to look forward with regards to my career.

So instead, inspired by my wife and her hypnotherepy teachings, I have decided to choose a single word which will have a bearing and influence on my life as I travel through the next tweleve months. The word I choose is 'OPEN'.

I choose 'OPEN' because even though I don't want the pressure of failed goals I do want to be ready for work and opportunities that may come my way this year. I want to be 'OPEN' for business. I want to be 'OPEN' for work. I want to be 'OPEN' for opportunity. There's no pressure on me with 'OPEN'. There's no expectation with 'OPEN'. There's just endless possibilities and a willingness to welcome them should they present themselves. I'm free to be adaptable and choose my opportunities when and if they come along, and not be tied to something I commit myself to in January. I have the freedom to make choices and the freedom to be happy with what ever comes my way, without the anxiety of missed opportunities that don't.

In the past I've advocated setting goals as a way of challanging yourself and to keep your career moving forward. Now I'm revising that to say if you sometimes react badly to that pressure or simply don't want it, just commit to being 'OPEN' to possibilities while still working hard at doing all the right things to advance your career.

Happy New Year and happy writing!


No comments: